Simple Solutions for Beautiful Hair
Hair is extremely important to women and how we feel about our appearance. We all want a head full of shiny and healthy hair.
However, most women approach hair health by trying different hair products and looking for that perfect shampoo and conditioner that will transform their locks. The problem, though, is that great hair has more to do with our health than anything else.
I hear from my clients all the time that they think their hair loss, thinning or frizz and dullness is a result of genetics. This is not entirely true. You can have beautiful, healthy hair if you understand what your body needs.
There are 3 things to consider:
Hormones play a major role in hair health. Many women, even in their twenties and thirties, experience hair loss and thinning as well as frizz and brittleness. This is due to hormonal imbalance often caused by stress and poor digestion.
- Ashwagandha is a great natural herb for stress reduction. Also, practice stress management techniques like yoga, 15-minute meditation, writing, breathing methods, etc.
- Practice gratitude through prayers or by simply acknowledging all of the things you’re grateful for everyday. Feeling gratitude is a natural self-induced method to psychologically and physiologically reduce stress in the body.
- Every morning drink warm water with freshly squeezed lemon (or a capful of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water) upon rising. This will help to cleanse, balance pH and improve digestion.
- Use digestive enzymes. Click here to learn more.
Next, there are certain nutrients that your hair needs to thrive. Vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids feed your locks to health, fullness, growth, and shine. When we have nutrient deficiencies, it will inevitably show in our hair (unless you are one of the small percentage of chicks with awesome hair no matter what—I’ve seen that too, lol).
- Add sweet potatoes and carrot juice to your diet. The high beta-carotene content is fabulous for healthy hair and shine.
- Eat more greens like kale and spinach. I have a green juice or smoothie almost everyday with kale or spinach in it. These two greens are full of vitamins and minerals necessary for hair health (zinc, iron, vitamin C, etc).
- Take a fish oil supplement for essential fatty acids.
Lastly, blood circulation and oxygen to the scalp is the way in which nutrients are delivered to hair follicles. Better circulation has been shown to improve hair health and growth.
- Get your body active and moving to improve circulation.
- You can hang your head over the edge of your bed and massage your scalp every night to increase circulation.
- Get your daily dose of leafy greens or use chlorophyll drops in water. Chlorophyll is a natural molecule found in green plants, which helps to increase oxygen and magnesium in the body. With adequate oxygen and nutrients delivered to hair follicles, your locks will grow healthy and strong. [Note: if you use chlorophyll drops in water, make sure to take it on an empty stomach to avoid problems with digestion.]